Becoming a Member
About the Gallery
State of the Art Gallery (SOAG) is a not-for-profit, member-run cooperative founded in 1989. The gallery provides a downtown Ithaca exhibition space for artists working in any medium or style. Members benefit by being part of a gallery with a history in the community and continuing opportunities to network with other artists. The gallery is funded by membership fees, commissions, donations and grants.
In addition to solo and group shows of the artist-member’s work, the gallery hosts a regional photo show, and in alternate years, an invitational or juried show of regional artists. The gallery is also available on a limited basis for events such as poetry readings, dance recitals and artist’s talks as a part of our mission to support the arts community.
Applications for Membership
Guidelines for Artists applying for Membership
The points below are stated to help artists applying for membership to The State of the Art Gallery understand how the selection process works. When reviewing an applicant’s qualifications, the gallery strives to maintain a balance of styles and media. We also value artists who support the cooperative mission of the gallery and the responsibility of membership. We use points A-E as guidelines when discussing prospective members. They are not hard and fast rules but rather give the membership a framework when discussing applicants’ artwork.
A. Originality/Vision Is there something that makes this artist’s work unique and/or memorable? Is there consistency that distinguishes the work?
B. High Technical Craftsmanship Does the work demonstrate skillful use of the media? Does it have good composition, use of color, value and form?
C. Seriousness of Purpose/Maturity/Record of Accomplishment Is there a record of exhibitions/shows or other evidence of the serious intent to show their work?
D. Presentation of Work Is the work framed/based/mounted in a professional way?
E. Commitment to the Mission of the Gallery Has the applicant expressed knowledge of gallery member responsibilities and the willingness to perform them? Is there an expectation of long-term membership and financial commitment to the gallery?
* Members are expected to support the cooperative mission of the gallery.
* Members are required to sit at the gallery an average of 5-7 hours a month to keep the gallery open. If for any reason the artist CANNOT meet this obligation during a particular month, they must arrange with other members to trade hours.
* Exhibiting artists are asked to sit 10 – 15 hours during the month of their solo or small group show.
* Members should make every effort to attend monthly meetings. These are held on the second Monday of each month at 7:30 PM, at the gallery.
* Each member must serve on at least one committee. (see examples of committees below)
* Members are encouraged to attend exhibit openings – usually the first Friday of each month.
* $305 per year membership fee
* $340 fee for each solo show or divided between artists for group shows (Excepting 2 Member Shows in May & Sept.)
* 10% commission of any sales
* Postcard and Mailing costs to the gallery’s mailing list for solo sho
The gallery facilitates the sale of artwork shown in the gallery. All sales transactions are between the artists and the buyer. The artist is responsible for the collection of NYS sales tax. Artists must have their own NYS sales tax ID#.
Gallery’s Obligations to Members
* Meet each month to discuss business and make decisions
* Keep members informed by e-mailing minutes of the meetings
* Keep the gallery open during posted hours
* Include members in two annual group shows each year plus seven “Salon” shows.
* Support and encourage members to schedule solo or small group exhibits of their work every 2-4 years.
* Provide publicity support for solo and group shows
* Host an opening reception for each show
* Help promote and expand sales opportunities for the artists
Examples of Gallery Committees
* Executive: sets agendas for meetings and acts as a decision making body between meetings. The executive committee acts as the Board of Trustees and includes the Chairperson, treasurer and secretary.
* Website: updates website, monitors the calendar and facilitates the gallery staffing, sends the gallery e-news.
* Reception: plans and staffs show receptions
* Installation: hangs group shows and assists artist with the hanging of their work
* Publicity: gets press releases and invitations out, maintains mailing list, advertising
* Membership: orients new members, communicates with applicants
* Marketing: looks for opportunities to promote the gallery
How to Contact Us
For information on applying for membership contact: